Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tyler, James

A veteran soldier, in the person of Mr James Tyler, died at Crescent Road, St Albans, yesterday. He was born at Chepstow, and on Nov. 27, 1843, when he was nineteen years old he entered the army, joining the Fourth Light Dragoons (now a Hussar Regiment).

He served for seven months in thr Crimean War and in Turkey, obtaining the Crimean medal with clasps for Alma, Balaclava and Sevastopol, and the Turkish Crimson for his services in that war.

He obtained his discharge on Dec. 24, 1867, having twenty-four years and twenty-five days to reckon towards pay and pension, and, in addition to his other military decorations, was the possessor of no less than five good conduct badges, while he had acted an orderly to the late Duks of Wellington.
He emigrated to New Zealand about twenty-five years ago, and spent some years on the West Coast, afterwards settling at St Albans, where he continued to reside until his death.

Mr Tyler was a widower, and left no children. His funeral, which will be a military one, will take place to-morrow afternoon.
Star, Issue 6838, 4 July 1900, Page 3

There died yesterday, at his residence, Crescent road, St. Albans, Mr James Tyler, one of the few remaining survivors of the famous charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava.

Mr Tyler was born at Tidenham, Gloucesrtershire, and was about 76 years of age when he died. He joined the Fourth Light Dragoons in 1843, and when serving in the Crimea was a farrier-sergeant.

He was a participant in, tbe famous charge, and was wounded, by an eight-ounce grape shot, which entered his right side, and, as it was a spent shot, was taken out from under his skin on the left side.

It appears that when the Brigade was about 120 yards from the guns they were despatched to capture one of the batteries opened on them, and Tyler as he passed the battery at an angle received the spent grape shot. He was invalided Home, and eventually served his twenty-four years in the army. He had three medals and three clasps. The medals were British, Turkish, and one presented by the King of Sardinia in connection with the Crimean War. The clasps were for Alma, Balaclava, and First Siege of Sebastopol.

In 1873 Mr Tyler came out to New Zealand in tie ship Dillharrie, and some time after landing at Lyttelton went to Kumara, where he followed the occupation of a miner. He was on the West Coast for about nine years, returning to Christchurch at the end of that period. Since then he has resided at St. Albans, and has been engaged attending to some land of Mr Chaney's, in Innes's road, St. Albans.

Mr Tyler Was a widower, his wife having died about eighteen years ago. He had no children. Since his discharge from the Army he was in receipt of a pension of 14s per week.
Press, Volume LVII, Issue 10700, 5 July 1900, Page 2

1 comment:

  1. Francis James Tyler was married to Anne Price, also from Tidenham. They came out on the Dilharee 1874 along with Charles Price, one of her brothers and his family. Already in Christchurch were other members of the Price family including Henry William Price.
    Love your work
    Marie (married to a Price)