A Crimean VeteranIt was with deep regret that the public of Kaiapoi learned on Saturday the news of the death of Mr John Perrin, a Crimean veteran, and an early resident in the northern district. His name appears in the list of veterans on the Roll of Honour as defender of the Empire 1810-1902, which was compiled by Lord Ranfurly.
Death of Mr J. Perrin
Death of Mr J. Perrin
Deceased joined the Royal Artillery at Devonport, on November 19th, 1848, and went out with them to the Crimean war and was in action at Inkerman and Sebastopol, receiving the Crimean and Turkish medals with clasps for Inkerman and Scbastopol.
On returning to England he was transferred to the L Battery, 9th Brigade and discharged with an exemplary character certificate at Newbridge, Kildare.
Coming to New Zealand, Mr Perrin took to farm life, and in the first rifle company at Kaiapoi became a sergeant, and afterwards was acting-lieutenant, when that corps was disbanded in 1879. He did not claim his Imperial pension till about thirty years after the war, but the application was very promptly granted by the Chelsea Hospital authorities.
They, however, declined to grant a compromise for the arrears of pension. For some years he had lived an almost retired life, but his early hardships had only in recent years curtailed his vigour of body and strength of mind.
He attained the age of 86, and leaves a widow. His first wife died about twelve years ago. He had two sons. Yesterday there was a very large attendance at the funeral of deceased which took place at the Kaiapoi Church of England cemetery. The hearse, on which was the coffin covered with the Union Jack, was attended by six members of the late H Company Rifle Volunteers, preceded by a firing party under Colour-Sergeant L. Oram. There was a fair attendance of Territorials and Cadets. The officers present were:— Major T. S. Gates, Captains J. L. Conlan. E. E. Papprill, and H. Oram, Lieutenants A. L. Gray and R. Stark.
The brass band, under Bandmaster Hoskin played the Funeral March. Messrs T. Lang and H. French, who held medals for India and China service respectively, were present and many representatives of No. 5 C.R.V. and H. Company of the First Canterbury Battalion. By the time the cemetery was reached about 500 or 600 persons were present. The service was conducted by Chaplain Captain C. A. Fraer. After three volleys had been fired, Bugler Hall sounded the Last Post.
Press, Volume XLIX, Issue 14741, 11 August 1913, Page 9